I’m pretty sure my colleagues would agree when I write that the chief reason we love our business is the diversity of industries, people, projects and ideas we work with daily. One recent example inspired this blog. An event we have helped support for four years over the Memorial Day weekend has become something my husband and I really look forward to. Honestly, we didn’t initially think we were the types. Classic case of laziness or lack of understanding, I guess. Every third Monday in May, our client, Dignity Memorial ®, a huge funeral home and cemetery operator, asks us to support their community Memorial Day commemoration at Memorial Oaks Cemetery out in West Houston. The event, which is timed to last exactly one hour, draws hundreds of loved ones of people buried at the cemetery and, as it turns out, lots of veterans and family members who love or have loved and lost veterans from throughout the Greater Houston area. read more »
This time of year, everyone is posting (or has posted) their "Best Of" lists, and, while we like to think of ourselves as outrageously creative folk, we're suckers for a good recap. Without further ado--and in no particular order--our favorite 20K moments of 2011:
- Helped rebrand United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Houston as Easter Seals of Greater Houston to greater reflect the organization's broad range of services for people of all ages and with all kinds of disabilities and their families.
- Celebrated our eighth year with Houston Habitat for Humanity and the first annual Bike to Build fundraiser. It has been rewarding beyond words to have watched so many families' lives transformed by homeownership.
- Introduced the stress-breaking, fun-loving, ridiculously silly 20K dance interlude. Sean Stephenson is our favorite "let it go and laugh" instructor.
- Teamed up with March of Dimes-Houston Division and cheered on the 45,000 walkers who raised more than $3 million at the 2011 March for Babies. We also wined and dined (and media pitched) at the most successful March of Dimes special event in the national organization's history--the 2011 Houston Signature Chefs Gala.
- Long-time client Devon Energy rang in their 40th Anniversary and were named again to the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For list.
- Humbled by the privilege of producing "Houston Remembers," a moving commemoration of the 10th anniversary of 9/11, on behalf of the Dignity Memorial Network.
- Recommitted ourselves to life balance and international travel that spanned three continents.
- Tackled and successfully managed an oil spill crisis for a client in the Gulf of Mexico (post-BP). While this wasn't a favorite moment, it was one that stood out as a challenge that was met head on.
- Dedicated countless volunteer hours and support to local organizations, including Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, AIDS Foundation Houston, Noah's Kitchen, Houston Young People for the Arts and our clients.
- Continued to merge our business activities with our passion for social consciousness. We have committed ourselves to growing 20K Group with a priority towards working with clients who "do good" in the world.
20K Group was honored to produce "Houston Remembers," an event commemorating the tenth anniversary of 9/11 at Discovery Green on September 9, 2011. Presented by Dignity Memorial, the event's focus was dedicated to those whose lives were lost in the attacks, their families, the survivors and the emergency responders who courageously tended to the relief efforts during the crisis and its aftermath. read more »